Short HF antenna for 10m or 11m

Go down

Re: Short HF antenna for 10m or 11m

Post by Admin on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:16 am

Hi Noli,
That is very generous of you. I go to Spain in a few days so I may be able to pick one up there. They have EVERYTHING at the Sunday junk-market. Lat time I picked up a Canon EOS-500 SLR camera with 28-80mm zoom, perfect working order. The guy wanted 30 Euros, but I bid him down to 23 Euros, and he threw in the high power flashgun :-)

I am sure I can get a toilet seat there :-)  Also loads of crap-stalls where they just have boxes with assorted screws, TV-remotes, cables, rawlplugs, etc.

Thank you very much for the kind off. Really appreciated.

Have a nice day - Harry

Admin

View user profile http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by n0th1n6 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:06 am

n0th1n6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:31 pm

n0th1n6 wrote:Hi Harry,

Now I don't have a thousand word to thank You but really, that makes it easier for me to understand. Now, to save your time from designing a 3D model of a bolt, I would suggest to use the nylon bolt used for toilet seat cover.

It has the knob already.

Back to antennas, I am going to try this

http://213.114.131.21/antennas/short.htm

I had some of the materials already. Guess I just have to test it for QRP use.

Very Best Regards,

Noli - 4G1ZYS

Hi Noli,
You do not have to thank me, I love to share my ideas, but now it is I who must thank you. Your suggestion is a really great idea, the nylon bolts from toilet seats.
I have a load of technical stuff to throw away at the city dump and while I am there I will keep my eyes peeled for a toilet seat. I have checked with Ikea and they do not sell them separate, but they also have a "fynd" section where they get rid of demo models cheap. That may be preferable to a used seat from the city dump ;-)

There are a couple of other shops I could try locally, but we shall see.

Thank you once gain for the brilliant idea.
BR Harry

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by n0th1n6 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:31 am

Hi Harry,

Now I don't have a thousand word to thank You but really, that makes it easier for me to understand. Now, to save your time from designing a 3D model of a bolt, I would suggest to use the nylon bolt used for toilet seat cover.

It has the knob already.

Back to antennas, I am going to try this

http://213.114.131.21/antennas/short.htm

I had some of the materials already. Guess I just have to test it for QRP use.

Very Best Regards,

Noli - 4G1ZYS

n0th1n6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 pm

I thought that instead of spending ages describing I would insert 2000 words, using my new Canon Christmas present from Maj-Lis (Canon EOS-1300D). (they say that a picture speaks a 1000 words).

There are two pieces of 5 cm x 7 cm with a dry plastic kitchen-sink sponge between. The sugar-cube (sockerbit) insulator supports everything and I just let it dangle. The rubber band holds them in place. This requires that the resonant frequency of the antenna is about 2% higher than the wanted frequency, eg. 20 m band, 14.000 MHz to 14.350 MHz should resonate at about 14.650 MHz.

To make it variable, drill a 1 cm Diameter hole in the two copper-clad boards and make a 1 cm Dia. hole in the sponge. Shove a nylon (or plastic) bolt through the holes and tighten the bolts to squash the sponge.

This capacitor has been continuously loaded to 50-Watts and the capacitor is stone-cold. The orange wires to the sugar-cube (sockerbit) insulator do become ever so slightly warm. If you need a larger capacitance then use two larger pits of copper-clad board and/or squeeze them together a it harder. The copper-clad board is 70 mm x 100 mm but I cut it in ½ to get two bits of board. You can use metal sheets, such as copper or aluminium, but copper clad board is a lot easier to make an electrical connection.

Have I answered your question? Do you need any further information? I am only too pleased to help you get this baby working :-)

Best regards from Harry - SM0VPO

Last edited by Admin on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Seemed like a good idea at the time, to correct the odd spolling mistaik and to put my name on the pictures (including a subtle hidden sig), so that everyone will know it came from the fine Christmas present that Maj-Lis gave to me to spoil me with kind..)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by n0th1n6 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi Harry,

Again, thank You for answering. A lot to choose from but I am interested in the loop antenna as well. I am worried though that the gimmick capacitor will not work for 10m. I am very interested in the compressed sponge capacitor. Can you give me an idea how to make it?

Best Regards,

Noli, 4G1ZYS

n0th1n6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi Noli,
Thank you very much for your NY greetings on Twitter. I received the e-mail notification but I was unable to open the notifications/message page with you in it!!

If you are looking for a light and smalkl HF antenna then there are several suggestions.

1 - Loop antenna. http://213.114.131.21/antennas/20m_ant_00.htm
This particular project was for 14MHz but the sizes can be scaled and you can make a mono-band very easily and in a very confined space. The 20m antenna is less than 1m diameter. no groundplane needed.

2 - Use a vertical whip antenna as long as you can (but 1/4-wave or shorter). You cn then put a tapped inductor in the feed to it to bring it to resonance. A 1m pole can give very good results on 10/11m. The coil needs to be something like 5cm Diameter and use mains cable to make the coil. For a 1m whip and 28MHz you will need about 5 - 10 turns.
This antenna does need a groundplane but you just need a connection to anything that has sufficient mass, such as balcony handrail, car roof, etc.

3 - Make a centre-fed 1/2-wave antenna on a pole but use wire coilled up on something like a 2m-long plastic conduit tube, but space the turns out a bit so the antenna occupies the full length of the tube.
This antenna does not need a ground connection.

4 - Google "slinky" and buy two of the metal versions. These you can stretch out to suit the space available. If the space is short (like on a balcony) then feed a clothes-line through them for support.
This antenna does not need a groundplane.
This antenna will need an ATU.

So there are a couple of suggestions for you.

I personally favour the loop antenna. I am presently making a 3D plastic screw-thread than can compress sponge to make a 10kV variable tuning capacitor for the loop antenna. It should be possible to have two or more loop antennas on the same frame using one common feed loop, or even a tapped loop?

Very best regards from harry - SM0VPO

Admin

Back to top Go down

Short HF antenna for 10m or 11m

Post by n0th1n6 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:02 am

Hi Harry,

I am constantly looking for ways to make a transmitting antenna that is light and not too long. The reason for this is that 1) I don't have a good tower where I can mount a heavy antenna. 2) not enough area to mount a wide antenna (only have 8 meters longest that I can use). That said, I am looking at the short HF antenna in your page as my main antenna for 40m. I also want to make one for 10 and 11m and this is what I want to clarify. With the current design, will it work up to 10m without modification or do I need to build one just for this band? Would a wire soldered to the roof enough as ground for this antenna?

Thanks and BR,

Noli, 4G1ZYS

n0th1n6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down