Where have all the crystals gone?

Go down

Where have all the crystals gone? Empty Re: Where have all the crystals gone?

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi Dave.
I have got the auto-necking enabled. Now I am getting really impressed with the program.
Necking - another new word for me.

In my lunch break today I started re-creating a few of my existing projects.

Yes, lots of things are disappearing these days. That's why I find the 3D printer so useful.

Very best regards fro Harry - SM0VPO (EA/SM0VPO)

Admin

View user profile http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Codar on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Tracking between IC pins, use the largest track you can get away with, also ensure 'auto necking' is enabled (hi lighted), this is the 5th icon from the top right.

I always try to avoid routing through pins if at all possible, I prefer routing it through the IC... say from top to bottom,  if I can't do this I've used links under the IC seems to be my favourite..., "don't tell anyone"...! Not so easy with SMD chips.

It didn't take me long to 'get the knack' of the program, I've made through holes and SMD boards, but not double sided boards although I have used them for ground planes.

The formers are great, thanks. I've been playing about with one getting idea of the turns and inductance requirements. 'Ally' chassis that's something else that seems to have disappeared what  is the world coming to?

Dave

Codar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi Dave,
I also had a bad experience with Aliexpress. I bought 2000 voltage regulator chips that didn't work, and a batch of panel meters that were simply put in a plastic bag and sent in the ordinary post. Naturally there were moosed to unrecognisability.

But on the whole, I have had a lot of successes and very few failures.

Today I do not buy from China. Sweden have imposed a China-tax, and imports from China are now subject to duty from the first crown. In effect, a $10 item will cost me another $20 to get it in the country. This is to encourage people to buy locally.

I have only made a start with the program. One thing I am having difficulty with is routing a track between the legs of an IC. At the moment I am building a little R/C project and I will need to start making PCBs for it.

How were the formers? Sorry they were a bit crude. I changed to yellow filament and the quality suddenly improved :-)

BR Harry - SM0VPO

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Codar on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:32 am

Hi Harry,
I had bad experience with Aliexpress, ordered some panel meters, the numbers on the dial were all over the place and looked as though they'd been stamped by a John Bull printing outfit..... remember em', some numbers were sitting on their sides, in the bin they went, I should have kept them for amusement.

Got a ceramic resonator working merrily away at the moment, was hoping to put a Murata ceramic 455Khz  ssb filters to good use on 160 and possibly 80Mtrs, seems pretty stable compared to using a LC..... I hate miniature RFC's and plastic trimmers in oscillators, they're just not up to it even at these low frequencies.

Built a 9Mhz carrier oscillator using crystal's and it had a peculiar drift, it go up in frequency and down again a few times before settling down a few minutes and start off again, maybe some 20 to 30Hz or so might have been a bit more, quite a while ago now the cause was those plastic trimmers I used, a 5mm ceramic cured the 'wobble'.

Hope you are enjoying that program. 

Dave.

Codar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 pm

Hi Dave,
You are right - they seem to have disappeared from the web. All I can find is ceramic resonators and filters :-)

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190319122741&SearchText=455kHz

I will have a look at my stocks at home the next time I go to Spain, and let you know. But twill be a few weeks before I go there.

I think I have some 10.245MHz and 11.155MHz used for converting 455 kHz to 10.7 MHz. I need to get my hands on those, too.

BR Harry - SM0VPO and EA/SM0VPO

Admin

Back to top Go down

Where have all the crystals gone? Empty Where have all the crystals gone?

Post by Codar on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Anyone know a source of crystals for a 455Khz SSB filter, they need to be around 453.5 & 456.5Khz for carrier generation? I have a couple of HC6, 456 and 454 Khz but can't be pulled far enough.

Dave

Codar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum