SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuning gearbox

2 posters

Go down

Tuning gearbox Empty Langwidge

Post by admin Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi Ivan,
So glad you managed to get the correct items. It is always a case of knowing the correct terminology and it is not easy in a second language.

RF terminology problems I have in Sweden is communicating with other radio hams. I am pretty good at Swedish. Sometimes I think I understand, but don't.

For example:
USB - You know what it is in English: "Upper Side-Band", right?
USB - Swedish = "Under SidBand" (LSB in English)
USB - Should be ÖSB (Övre SidBand) in Swedish

You can imagine the confusion. Is the Swedish ham saying USB translating ÖSB to USB for my benefit? or does he mean LSB?

When I came to Sweden a couple of "friends" taught me a couple of Swedish words:
- Yes = Ja
- No = nej
- Hello my friend = Hejsan tjockis
Every time I met them we always laughed and joked, and they said "Hejsan tjockis".

Two weeks later I went for an interview for a job and greeted the interviewer with "Hejsan tjockis", hoping to impress. But he gave me a very funny look. It really means "hello fat-man" in Swedish! Embarassed  But I did get the job, and they provided a private tutor in Swedish Laughing

One day my wife called me to ask me to buy a flower or plant for a friend we were to visit that evening. So I went to a plant nursery on the way home and bought a ficus plant. Maj-Lis was really angry with me. How was I supposed to know that "ficus" (fikus) in Swedish is a derogatory term for homosexual? and our kind host just happened to be gay!

Not easy learning a second or third language (Swedish is the fourth language I have studied).
"What is the time" in Swedish, literally translated = "How many are the bell?".

BR Harry

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Tuning gearbox Empty Re: Tuning gearbox

Post by Ivan Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Harry,
you helped me much when you advised the proper English term to me. I had no success searching on ebay, as I entered wrong keywords.

VBR from Ivan OK1SIP

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:45 pm

You could try searching e-bay for "slow motion drive", as they used to be called.
https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=slow+motion+drive+radio&_sacat=0

There are loads of examples you could modify, for example
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SLOW-MOTION-DILE-EARLY-RADIO-PART-P153/183163657342?hash=item2aa5679c7e:g:Ka0AAOSwfEVaxfuS

BR Harry -SM0VPO

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Tuning gearbox Prevod11
An example of the gearbox. Unfortunately it is sold out.

BR from Ivan

Last edited by Ivan on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Tuning gearbox Empty Tuning gearbox

Post by Ivan Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:34 am

Hi all,
does anybody know where to buy a gearbox for tuning capacitors at a reasonable price?

BR from Ivan OK1SIP

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down