SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basic linear amplifier base current question

3 posters

Go down

Basic linear amplifier base current question Empty Re: Basic linear amplifier base current question

Post by Ivan Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:30 pm

"Substantially greater" is the proper formulation. If you use 12x the base current, it will work too. BTW, it is a multiple by 10, not a power of 10.

BR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Basic linear amplifier base current question Empty Re: Basic linear amplifier base current question

Post by yakovdk Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:50 pm

So is a power of ten a calculated value, or just a rule of thumb ("substantially greater than")? Thanks for your help!

yakovdk

Back to top Go down

Post by dare4444 Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:07 pm

The current should be 10X so that the base voltage remains the same and does not fall with rising Transistor current.

dare4444

Back to top Go down

Basic linear amplifier base current question Empty Basic linear amplifier base current question

Post by yakovdk Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 pm

In the article on basic linear amplifiers, there is the following comment about the class A amplifier:
This means that R1 + R2 must burn at least 2.5mA (10 x Base current)
I'm confused about where the 10x base current comes from.  I'll freely admit that I'm a beginner with analog electronics, so this step is not obvious to me.  It'll probably be something very simple I should have thought of, but alas, I am at a loss.

That article is one of the clearest I've read about simple amplifiers, and I'm trying to understand every detail -- thanks for any help!

yakovdk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down