SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SMD and hams

3 posters

Go down

SMD and hams Empty Re: SMD and hams

Post by admin Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:13 pm

That is really sound advice, Ruud.

I know that regular resistors and capacitors have an uncanny knack of hiding themselves in pile carpets, but SMD must have other issues.
At least regular components often stick to magnets, so a magnet under the ESD-mat can keep control of some of them.

Thanks for the tip. Very best regards from HARRY - SM0VPO

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruud Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:24 pm

A good (and serious) advice: don't sneeze when you are working with SMD components! Very Happy
It happened to me more than once...
Ruud
Ruud

http://www.vansteenisaudio.nl

admin and dare4444 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:46 pm

Hello Ivan,
I have been thinking about using SMD components, but my eyes are not as good as they used to be.

I though about doing exactly as you suggest - soldering leads to the chips and using them as regular components. About a month ago I bought a head-mounted stereo microscope so I can work on small stuff once more. They are like the magnifyiers you see surgeons using in TV movies. It has inter-changeable lenses. I am expecting delivery any day now.

I saw that several companies offer "SMD-Kits" where you can solder an SMD IC on the header-board and fit legs so that they can plug into a normal IC socket. As you pointed out, 2.5mm component spacing will still accept an SMD component. But as always it is just to try and see what you can do.

Very best regards from Harry - SM0VPO

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

SMD and hams Empty SMD and hams

Post by Ivan Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:19 am

Hi,
dare4444 wrote:"Oh. Yes, I need to try smd and learn how to use a PCB design software."
There is no need to make dedicated PCBs for SMD chips. Small reduction PCBs for one SMD case can be obtained for cheap e.g. here. You solder the chip on and solder pins or wires into the holes around. You can then use it like a common DIP. The stray capacitances may increase a bit.
I recommend a hot air pen like this for soldering SMDs. It is smaller and cheaper than a reflow device etc. A magnifier glass, a syringe of soldering tin paste and a pair of tweezers is all other equipment needed.

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum