SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

455KHz IF oscillator with only three parts

3 posters

Go down

455KHz IF oscillator with only three parts Empty Re: 455KHz IF oscillator with only three parts

Post by sm0vpo Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:48 am

Ok Ivan, then I will see if I can find the one I use for training here at work.

You may remember that a couple of years ago we had a discussion about the NRO and I bought a heap of Russian tunnel diodes. I used one of them on a bit of veroboard with two crocodile clips that I could clank across any resonant circuit to make it oscillate.

This I used in classroom demos to measure the lengths of drums/coils of co-axial cable, with surprising accuracy. I have not delivered that course for a couple of years, but if I can find the prototype I will photo and post it here.

BR Harry - sm0vpo

sm0vpo
Admin

Back to top Go down

455KHz IF oscillator with only three parts Empty Re: 455KHz IF oscillator with only three parts

Post by Ivan Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:49 pm

sm0vpo wrote:I wonder if I posted my NRO cable testing oscillator?
Hi Harry,
I think you did not.

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

sm0vpo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sm0vpo Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:07 am

This is an interesting circuit. I just love the NROs. Simple and cheap.

Replace the resonator for a capacitor and it will "hoot" nicely at audio frequencies. I have built this type of circuit many times and always impressed by the simplicity.

Yes, Ivan, there are loads of harmonics, mainly even harmonics. With a capacitor the output waveform is a saw-tooth, but if using crystals or ceramic resonators the harmonic content is greatly reduced. This is also the same circuit I use with a tunnel diode instead of the transistor, which gives a much cleaner signal.

I use it to measure cable lengths. Instead of the resonator, connect it (through a capacitor) to one end of a roll of coax, with the far end shorted, then measure the frequency on the oscilloscope or a counter. 100/freqMHz = length in metres, assuming cable VF = 66%. With other cables then (150 * VF) / MHz = length in metres.

I wonder if I posted my NRO cable testing oscillator?

BR Harry - SM0VPO sm0vpo

sm0vpo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sun May 15, 2022 5:59 am

Hi,
I expect it should work with a two-pin resonator as well. The transistor seems to work as an avalanche generator, so it provides more spikes than a sinewave.

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

455KHz IF oscillator with only three parts Empty 455KHz IF oscillator with only three parts

Post by dare4444 Sat May 14, 2022 9:11 pm

Anybody willing to test this circuit? I don't have a three pin ceramic resonator.

455KHz IF oscillator with only three parts Img_2218

dare4444

sm0vpo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down