SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting development - spectrum analysers

2 posters

Go down

Interesting development - spectrum analysers Empty Re: Interesting development - spectrum analysers

Post by sm0vpo Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:50 pm

Hi Ivan,
Funny you should mention that. I have an audio generator and an audio spectrum analyser on the Samsung galaxy.

I still prefer my HB signal generator. It can deliver up to 100mA of audio Very Happy 
But I know exactly what you mean.

BR Harry - SM0VPO sm0vpo

sm0vpo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Interesting development - spectrum analysers Empty Re: Interesting development - spectrum analysers

Post by Ivan Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:25 pm

Hi Harry,
compare your former spectrum analyzer with e.g. the RF Explorer. I have an older model and it is good for ham purposes. I wanted to use a noise generator to display frequency characteristics of quadrupoles, but later I ordered a NanoVNA. It is another nice toy!

The future? Probably everything will be software defined and made as an app for a smartphone. How boring...

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

sm0vpo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Interesting development - spectrum analysers Empty Interesting development - spectrum analysers

Post by sm0vpo Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:52 am

Hi Guys,
the first spectrum analyser I ever used was about 40kg in weight (ca. 1970), on a trolly, about 80cm wide, 110cm deep and 90cm tall. It covered 100kHz to 35MHz and had a 6" diameter CRT.

25 years ago I managed to get a HP spectrum analyser with an in-built tracking generator. This I used for many projects. The new analyser cost about US$ 35,000. I got is second-hand. It was about 18kg in weight. I regret the day I got rid of it.

On Friday I ordered a brand-new analyser with built-in tracking generator, 9kHz to 2100MHz, expandable to 3000MHz. Specifications are something I would once dream about. Huge display. The cost is only about US$ 1500 : absolutely nothing !!
https://www.batronix.com/shop/spectrum-analyzer/Siglent-SSA3021X.html
(The model has now been superceeded - constant change is here to stay Very Happy )

So now I can do more work on filter alignment, plus loads of other ideas have opened up to me.

I wonder what test gear will be like in another 10 years?

Has anyone else had any experience with this or any similar instrument?
What is your favourite instrument? Until I saw this, my most useful bench instrument was the GDO + oscilloscope.

Very best regards from Harry - SM0VPO sm0vpo

sm0vpo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down