SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sm0vpo.com on decentralized web ?

3 posters

Go down

sm0vpo.com on decentralized web ? Empty Re:

Post by dare4444 Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:58 pm

It's best to have Harry retain ownership of this site, and if hosted on dedicated service providers like GoDaddy, then uptime is 99.9999% guaranteed.

dare4444

Back to top Go down

sm0vpo.com on decentralized web ? Empty Re: sm0vpo.com on decentralized web ?

Post by sm0vpo Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:03 am

That sounds like an interesting project, and thank you for the praise and the kind words.
HHH was devised to replace my paper lab-book, and at the same time make avilable the documents to anyone else - share ideas for free. Promote interest in the hobby, especially among younger people.

That which you propose sounds quite good in theory. If I understand you correctly then you are talking about moving HHH to some form of "cloud" environment, where it is hosted by many different machines, simultaneously. Is this correct?
Def: "Cloud" - other people's computers ?

Reading your text I have loads of questions, for example, how easy is it to update if I wand to add, delete or change anything? Would it mean that information would be "written in concrete" with no possibility of being able to delete or update anything?

One of the problems I have is that people copy my work and publish it as their own, often without any knowledge of how it works. For example, there is a guy in India who is (or was) even making kits of my V5 FM wireless microphone. He is claiming that this little transmitter delivers 1 Watt of power, and has quoted my homepages/e-mail address for support of his customers. I must confess to some evil satisfaction replying to some of his dissatisfied customers, telling them that they have been fooled and paid 3x the price I charged when I supplied kits.

Keeping HHH online and accessible is therefore interesting to me, but I do not want to lose control of it.

When Google began convincing people that they should not visit sites that have not bought a data file from Google (https) the number of visitors to my homepages fell and is not around 2,400,000 a year. Now that I am hosting my own homepages on a more modern server, I can see the statistics have begun rising again in only the last month. I have not spent a penny on Google certificates, accounts, registrations and all the other hoops and hurdles Google want me to jump over to get a Googe-approval icon in a Google web browser. My site is also no-longer being penalized in Google-controlled search engines.

Would your proposal affect the certificates and such that have been circumvented without contributing to Google's profits?

Oh God, I am beginning  to sound like some form of antidisestablishmentarianism anarchist! bounce  I just don't like Spam (and Google) Evil or Very Mad

ok, those are just my thoughts. I am sure that you understand. So how does your suggestion fit in with
- Sharing knowledge for free, which is priority #1
- Having information widespread to cut down false info
- Prevent Google search engine penalties
- Keeping control of the information integrity, updates etc
- Maintaining the "secret" areas on my homepages for sharing large files with people (oops, I didn't mention that above Cool )

BR Harry - sm0vpo.com

sm0vpo
Admin

Back to top Go down

sm0vpo.com on decentralized web ? Empty sm0vpo.com on decentralized web ?

Post by f4gsw Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:47 pm

Hi !
sm0vpo.com is one of the rare internet site that bring useful things to humanity IMHO. i'm thinking about low techs (for example: making a DCDC inverter with 2 resistors, 2 transistors and a 50Hz transformer) and easy and low cost radios based on junkbox parts, among many others. Harry sm0vpo is one of my very few electronics gurus and teachers (even of he does not know me !), and i made electronics my everyday job very pleasant thanks to guys like him. so... what if the sm0vpo.com server is down in case of a black out, of any other catastrophy that would make sm0vpo.com lost forever ?
today centralized internet is not energy efficient, not reliable, not protected against piracy, datacenter fire, flood or tempering attemps, or DNS breakdown, censorship, and so on... and it relies only on few very insane people.

my question is: is worth considering making sm0vpo.com accessible in a decentralized manner ?

there are several technology today like TOR(ONION) sites, IPFS, and many others (either p2p and/or blockchain based i don't care). among being decentralized and energy efficient, these technologies guaranty anonymity and authenticity as well as robustness against censorship. as long as someone has a partial copy of the site running on an online machine, sm0vpo.com will be available, wether or not the DNS servers are down and datacenters burnt into fire.

73 von F4GSW, 
locator IN87mq

f4gsw

sm0vpo likes this post

Back to top Go down

sm0vpo.com on decentralized web ? Empty Re: sm0vpo.com on decentralized web ?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down