SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY IF Cans for Valves

3 posters

Go down

DIY IF Cans for Valves Empty Re: DIY IF Cans for Valves

Post by Ivan Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:38 am

Hi all,
my experience is that a decent LC meter is a must for a ham dealing with radio.

BR from Ivan OK1SIP

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Runem Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:52 am

It's simply impossible to get 1.5mH with only 68 turns on an air core former with those measurements, so it must be 345 turns that is correct. If the former has a ferrite core things are starting to look quite different. The best thing to do in that case, in my opinion, is to buy or built yourself a LC meter, wind a lot of (too many) turns of wire on the former that's thin enough, and then start to unwind and measure the inductance as you go along.

Runem

Back to top Go down

Post by rjfrediani Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:49 am

It appears to me that the equation given is not correct, at least for mm.  The similar equation I found was for entries in inches.

rjfrediani

Back to top Go down

DIY IF Cans for Valves Empty DIY IF Cans for Valves

Post by rjfrediani Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:35 pm

I found this article on line by Harry Lythall and its going to help me figure how to replace the 1st IF transformer on an old radio.  I'm having trouble with the table that calculates the turns required.  The results using the table do not agree with the results from an Excel spreadsheet for the formula.  For example, if I enter 1500 uH, Former diameter = 10mm, Winding Length = 10 mm, Winding depth = 10 mm, then the table says 345 turns.  In my spreadsheet the answer is 68 turns.  I found a slightly different equation for turns (arithmetically identical) and I also get 68.  So my question is: Has the table been verified to be correct?

rjfrediani

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down