SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

email to Harry

3 posters

Go down

email to Harry Empty Re: email to Harry

Post by Syncopat Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Ok Harry, that's more clear than the list you published. thank you

No, not guilty.  Never spoke or 'phoned. 

Syncopat

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Syncopator wrote:I find your list illogical.

It is quite easy, the rules are processed in numeric sequence and can easily cleanup your INBOX if you get regular SPAM.. Consider a simplified version:

1 - if the mail is too big then delete from the server without downloading and do not process further rules.

At this point I will not waste more time downloading huge mails. SPAMmers JPEG pictures of packets of Via-gra and excel files with products simply disappear without the download traffic costs or waiting time.

2 - if the mail is addressed to me move to my INBOX and do not process further rules.
3 - if the mail is from "wanted people" people move message to my INBOX and do not process further rules.

Now I have in my INBOX all of the messages I want. That which remains is rubbish.

4 - auto-reply with a suitable message (and continue processing more rules).

5 - delete the message (all messages contain "@" so that is a good search criterion).

This technique effectively removes almost all SPAM from your mailbox.

So, I am still waiting for your e-mail. As a matter of interest are you the guy I met today and was calling me on the phone several times over the weekend? If so then I am sorry but I had two festive parties and was not really available (or capable) of driving anywhere. That is why the telephone was switched OFF.

Very best regards from Harry

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syncopator Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Sorry Harry,

I find your list illogical.

Never mind, it wasn't important.

Syncopator

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:15 pm

I think that you have slightly misunderstood the object of the code.

Rule No-6 is a global "delete everything" because all e-mail contains the "@" character. Rules 1 to 5 select the mail I DO want. That which remains is junk and is suitable processed by rule 6.

I first did when the late G6YCC posted my e-mail address harold.lythall@ericsson.se on his homepages. SPAMmers then began publishing this attractive address and I received litterally 1000s of messages a day. Ericsson IT services flatly refused to change my e-mail address.

So I devised 10 rules for all incoming mail:
1 to 5 trapped the mail I WANTED to get (addressed to me)
Rules 6 to 9 each sent back a "soddoff" message to the sender
Rule 10 deleted the message.

So only mail addressed to me or from people I wanted to get mail from ended up in my inbox. It worked great for me.

It didn't work so well for IT-support. Each day there was 990 SPAM messages arriving and 3960 "soddoff" messages were returned to the SPAMmers. 3900 of those messages were undeliverable so I got 3900 undeliverable messages. This resulted in 15500 more "soddoff" messages, which bounces, resulting in over 60,000 more "soddoff" messages.

Ericsson IT-support sent me a message to tell me to switch OFF these rules, but IT-support came from "...@compaq.com", which was not in my acceptance criteria. So they received 4 "soddoff" messages.

Three days after starting this the network became overloaded with bouncing mail, made worse because others in the department was I received very little SPAM, so they copied my 10 rules. The network could not handle the traffic. They sent a guy to my office to talk to me. They agreed to give me a middle name i do not have = harold.h.lythall@ericsson.se and in exchange I would remove my 10 rules.

I only deleted the mail-bounce rules (6 to 9) so the SPAM still failed to reach me.

If you want to send me mail you can write to:

sm0vpo2008@sm0vpo.com
Many "intelligent" servers reject this since sm0vpo appears in both fields of the address and looks like an invented address. This address I have used in usernet postings.

british.inteligence.sweden@sm0vpo.com
This address will also get to me but note that the word "inteligence" is incorrectly spelled.

I also have oeieio@hotmail.com and harryvpo@hotmail.com but these I do not check daily. I use them when I travel abroad and need to use a public computer.

For !normal" use I always use "harry.lythall@.." but I try not to publish this too often in public forums.

Very best regards from Harry - SM0VPO

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Send him a private message via this forum.

BR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

email to Harry Empty email to Harry

Post by Syncopator Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:27 am

Harry's rule number 6 regarding unnaceptable email says that the sender's address should not include the symbol "@".

How many email addresses don't?

So how can I send email to him?

Syncopator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down