SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fet biasing

5 posters

Go down

fet biasing Empty most sincere thanks

Post by david1959 Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Thank-you Harry,
I look forward to seeing the new projects, the death ray could be useful as I am a keen gardener too

Regards
David H

david1959

Back to top Go down

fet biasing Empty Re: fet biasing

Post by Jalex2 Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi
Yes that would be an interesting subject.

I have done quite a lot with jfets but there is still much I don't understand about them.  I have used them for switches, voltage controlled resisters,  amps, and followers in lots of different configurations.  I just make sure I can pull the gate below or above the source depending on if it's a p channel or n channel. I use a scope to check them when I get them from my junk box. It gives me a good response when I touch the gate even when there is no bios.  There is also one thing I don't understand and thats the difference between power mos fet and jfets.  I can use a mosfet like a transistor but a Jfet won't do anything configured like that. Then there is also the fact that to me a jfet works the opposite from a transistor and is saturated where there is no bios where a transistor is basically open with no bios.   What I like about them is that there is no gate current and that can be very handy when working with very weak signals with high impedance. That's all I know and I hope to learn more.

Jalex2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:59 am

Hi all,
FET biasing is generally a bit complicated, as many functional types of FETs exist:
- by construction: JFET, MIS (MOS) FET, MES FET;
- by polarity: N-channel, P-channel;
- whether the channel exists at Ug=0V: depletion mode, enhancement mode.
Each manufactured type combines one item from each line. BTW, depletion mode MIS types require no biasing at all. They act as voltage controlled resistors to some extent.

BR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by vk2aav Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:52 am

Hello Harry,

I'd be very interested in an article of FET biasing too, and especially interested in learning more about the death ray Smile.

Thanks,
Steve

vk2aav

http://telecnatron.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi David,
Yes, there is a good possibility of doing something about FETs. At the moment I am occupied with two projects:

- FET VHF-HF converter
 - "Death-Ray" - goodbye to weeds

The first of these could be a good opportunity to do a little something about FETs. No promisses, but I will try.

BR Harry

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

fet biasing Empty fet biasing

Post by david1959 Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:01 am

after many long months of trawling the internet for information on basic electronics
i found these home brew pages by accident here i found practical and useful information on how to use valves and transistor biasing is there any possibility in the future to expand the pages to include fet biasing ?????

and a personal thanks to harry for helping me to make sense of all this electronic stuff.

regards david

david1959

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum