SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for suggestions for tube rf-chokes

3 posters

Go down

Looking for suggestions for tube rf-chokes Empty Re: Looking for suggestions for tube rf-chokes

Post by admin Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:52 pm

One thing I used to do for "air cored" chokes for tubes was to cut a rubber grommet in 1/2 down the middle, the glue each 1/2 to the ends of a 1/2-Watt or 1-Watt resistor. You can use an electric screwdriver or drill to wind on the firmer that was made.

The resistor should be 1-Megohms or more. The length of wire should be like 1/4-wavelength or so, which means you can get really thin magnet wire from high-voltage (24V) miniature relays.

It was a simple method, and quick, too :-)

BR Harry

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Looking for suggestions for tube rf-chokes Empty Thanks

Post by Giuseppe Stancanelli Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Yes, thanks, finally I've found the time to fully read it. Learned a lot!

Many thanks again
Giuseppe

Giuseppe Stancanelli

Back to top Go down

Looking for suggestions for tube rf-chokes Empty Re: Looking for suggestions for tube rf-chokes

Post by Ivan Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:12 pm

Hi,
this page may be a good start for you.

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Giuseppe Stancanelli Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:23 pm

Thanks, but 3d printing is an option, not mandatory
I'm only looking for a choke solution that works. in order to not add uncertainity in my first attempts in receiver diy building

... and I don't have any of the kind of chokes you wrote :-)

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Stancanelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi Giuseppe,
which choke do you have in mind? The anode one, the filament filter or something else?
Generally, using a 3D printer to make choke formers may cause problems with deformation of the thermoplastic material, if the winding becomes hot. Ceramics or teflon are preferred.

VBR from Ivan OK1SIP

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Looking for suggestions for tube rf-chokes Empty Looking for suggestions for tube rf-chokes

Post by Giuseppe Stancanelli Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:32 am

Hi, I'm a new user of the forum but a long-time reader of your site, from around years 2004-2005.
I thank you for all the work and passion you put in it.

I'm studying for my Ham license, I'm from Italy, and I do some SWL with a kenwood ts130.
I have some experience in electronics, molstly analog stuff, and now I want to try some tube receiver/trasmitter project.

As many in EU, currently I'm stuck at home, but I think I have all the required components, bar the rf-chokes

If I try googling for rf-choke or similar terms, I only find documents on the antenna chokes

So, finally, my question is:

Do you have any suggestion for home building, as you did for replacing denco coils?
I own a 3d printer, and I can model and try coil formers

Thanks in advance
Giuseppe

Giuseppe Stancanelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down