SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice

4 posters

Go down

Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice Empty Re: Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice

Post by Ruud Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:53 am

Wouldn't it be a good idea to start your own website with your transmitter designs?
Ruud
Ruud

http://www.vansteenisaudio.nl

admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice Empty New updated schematic

Post by dare4444 Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:51 am

Del

Last edited by dare4444 on Tue May 10, 2022 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total

dare4444

Back to top Go down

Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice Empty Re: Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice

Post by dare4444 Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:34 pm

There's one problem with the last circuit. LtSpice simulation showing excessive current to the final transistor. 132ma something. Is it being overdriven?

dare4444

Back to top Go down

Post by dare4444 Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:46 pm

Del

Last edited by dare4444 on Tue May 10, 2022 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

dare4444

Back to top Go down

Post by dare4444 Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Del

Last edited by dare4444 on Tue May 10, 2022 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

dare4444

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:23 pm

Hi Ivan,
Yes, that sounds even better. It would be even easier than one would think to make a variable, temperture compensated cap using a bi-material principle.nThat does open up the mind for creative ideas.
BR Harry

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi,
I imagine an air capacitor with two plates, one of them made from bimetal sheet. It changes its capacity strongly when the temperature changes and the bimetal bends. It would be possible to make a capacitor exactly compensating the coil drift.

BR from Ivan

Ivan

admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:48 pm

Correct!

One other idea is to use a coil from another metal that has a different expansion coefficient.

X 0.000001 mm / degree C:

Brass = 19
Aluminium = 12.8
Copper = 10
steel = 7
Iron (grey) = 5.8
Platinum = 5
Silicon = 2.8
Stainless steel = about 5 (varies with quality/type)
Titanium = 4.8

Another method is using conductive paint on a stable surface, like glass.

Alternatives you can try are use a tuning capacitor with a negative temperature coefficient. Remember the old "compression trimmers"? Some had a brass screw down the center, which moved the plates (reduced the tension) when heated due to expansion of the screw.

I don't know if you have access to a vacuum jar, but I once experimented with vaporising copper (high current through thin wire) to deposit copper onto non-metal surfaces. I did that to make strain gauges. I put a schablon/mask on the material so the copper was deposited, much like a PCB. I used two elements, one to bind with any last traces of oxygen in the jar.

The jar was borrowed from a school laboratory where they hung an electric bell inside, pumped out the air and the ringing disappeared when the air was sucked out.

Just a couple of bits of info to get you thinking. Maybe you can get some ideas?

BR Harry

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dare4444 Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 pm

Yes Harry, it makes sense. A small coil has less surface area too so better the temperature isolation. The Franklin oscillator has no DC Current flowing through the coil so it should definitely improve stability right?

dare4444

admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:42 pm

dare4444 wrote:Harry, do you think the stability would be excellent like 5KHz drift in 24 hours? I used a small 30nH coil and large tuning capacitance. Does this improve drift?

Hi Joy,
In general, coils used copper, which has a temperature expansion coefficient. So when the coils are heated they expand. Coils in air are also subjected to vibrations.

Capacitors, on the other hand, use different materials and can have a very low capacitance change with temperature.

This means that larger capacitors and smaller coils can give you a better long-term stability.

For my V5 FM transmitter I etched the coils on the PCB and that gave a very good stability.

Does this answer your questions?

BR Harry

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dare4444 Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:47 am

Del

Last edited by dare4444 on Tue May 10, 2022 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

dare4444

Back to top Go down

Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice Empty Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice

Post by dare4444 Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:34 am

Harry, do you think the stability would be excellent like 5KHz drift in 24 hours? I used a small 30nH coil and large tuning capacitance. Does this improve drift?

dare4444

Back to top Go down

Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice Empty Franklin VFO FM TX built entirely on LtSpice

Post by dare4444 Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:27 pm

Del

Last edited by dare4444 on Tue May 10, 2022 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

dare4444

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down