SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.2GHz CMOS synth

Go down

1.2GHz CMOS synth Empty Re: 1.2GHz CMOS synth

Post by Ivan Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi,
I am glad it helped you.

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by John_1981 Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:25 pm

Thanks Ivan, downloaded the program, its just what I needed.

John_1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:29 am

John_1981 wrote:For example, 3541 is a difficult one, the best approximation I could find was N=360, R=1220. This comes out with an error of 16.4Hz. Probably good enough to receive SSB though.
My program found N=306 and R=1037 with the same deviation.

73 Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:13 am

Hi John,
I have administrator rights, but I cannot see your email address. Perhaps it is because you are a guest, not a registered user.

Currently I do not have a website to put the file there for download, but I placed the file to a public fileserver. Click the URI: [url= https://www.uschovna.cz/zasilka/ROC6I2326NH3VZPT-MWG/] https://www.uschovna.cz/zasilka/ROC6I2326NH3VZPT-MWG/ [/url]
Then click the yellow button "STAHNOUT ZASILKU" (yes, the website is in Czech) and the EXE should be downloaded to your device. When I posted it, it was tested by an antivirus of course. The file will be erased after 90 days by the provider. The file can be run without installation.

73 from Ivan

Last edited by Ivan on Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:54 am; edited 3 times in total

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by John_1981 Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:08 pm

"Hi John,
no genius was required. I wrote a small utility for Windows. You fill in the reference and the wanted frequency, click RUN and the R and N values are found. I tested it on the examples you state. How can I send it to you? it is an EXE, so it may be blocked by all firewalls and antiviruses. 1.2GHz CMOS synth Icon_sad  It might be useful for anyone else.."

Ivan, 

Yes this sounds like something that would be useful. With certain frequencies it is just a matter of finding the highest common factors of the two numbers, but where the wanted frequency turns out to be a prime number the only option is to find the best approximation, trading off having as high as possible a reference frequency whilst minimising the error. For example, 3541 is a difficult one, the best approximation I could find was N=360, R=1220. This comes out with an error of 16.4Hz. Probably good enough to receive SSB though. A quick search has led me to Euclids' algorithm as a method to find the HCF of two numbers but this won't help when i'm stuck with prime numbers and integer R/N values. 

I do like the 12MHz crystal as the basis for the reference frequency as I can readily generate 5, 6.25,7.5, 8, 10, 12, 12.5, 15, 20, 25 kHz etc. 

As it stands I'm not sure how to go about sharing files easily. I do use dropbox but I would have to share usernames etc. and leave it open to spammers. I'm happy for anyone with admin rights on the forum to share my email address with you if it is visible to them. I also have some useful stuff I could share, I wrote an excel spreadsheet for calculating the 28/32 bit tuning word for the AD9833 and AD9850 DDS modules and some PIC programs for controlling the same using a rotary encoder. 

Speaking of the AD9833, I have thought of using this with a PLL to extend its frequency range and clean up the output. As it stands the output gets messy above about 7MHz. The AD9850 modules are power hungry and have got expensive, but the AD9833 units are still fairly cheap and fit on a postage stamp.

John_1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:06 pm

John wrote:If there are any mathematical geniuses out there i'm looking for a way to automate finding which R and N values get me closest to each 1kHz step within a given band. At the moment I'm using Excel but I have to manually go through a list of values and select the closest one. I'm looking for the best way to approximate, for example,  3728=(12,000/R)*N where N and R must be integer values and I want R to be within the range 1000-1600. 
Hi John,
no genius was required. I wrote a small utility for Windows. You fill in the reference and the wanted frequency, click RUN and the R and N values are found. I tested it on the examples you state. How can I send it to you? it is an EXE, so it may be blocked by all firewalls and antiviruses. Sad  It might be useful for anyone else...

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

1.2GHz CMOS synth Empty 1.2GHz CMOS synth

Post by John_1981 Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:09 pm

Harry, 

Can you clear something up for me please? I'm struggling to follow the loop filter circuit (fig 6), should the 470pF capacitor at the bases of the complementary pair be 0.5uF? 

I have been playing around with an MC145157 serial load synthesizer but found the single ended PD out terminal easier to use/understand than the phi R/phi V outputs. I have tried the MC145151 before but the limited choice of R values is an inconvenience and with a PIC it is easier to control with serial commands rather than getting tangled up in lots of parallel data lines. 

Will it be an issue if I use a range of reference frequency values between say 5 and 10kHz? as the R counter can be set to any value between 3 and 16,383 if I use a 12MHz crystal it will be possible to cover the 80m band in 1khz steps whilst still maintaining the reference in the range 7.5-12kHz. For example, for 3571 kHz N=394, R=1324 then for 3572 kHz N=370, R=1243. 

If there are any mathematical geniuses out there i'm looking for a way to automate finding which R and N values get me closest to each 1kHz step within a given band. At the moment I'm using Excel but I have to manually go through a list of values and select the closest one. I'm looking for the best way to approximate, for example,  3728=(12,000/R)*N where N and R must be integer values and I want R to be within the range 1000-1600. 

John_1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down