SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New project on sm0vpo.com - AF signal source from your RF generator

2 posters

Go down

New project on sm0vpo.com - AF signal source from your RF generator Empty Re: New project on sm0vpo.com - AF signal source from your RF generator

Post by Densil Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:52 pm

Hi harry. good to see u back. will there be more projects.
this is the 1st for 8 months & then u post 3 at once.
i saw you had a lady friend so i guess you have been ocupied.
i have not been on forum for a long time but i keep watching your page for new pages.

i like the retro amp. reminds me of my mispent youth. I used to strip down radios and tvs for the bits. Alway building with resistors & short leads. still have lots of oc81 oc81d oc45 oc44 & af117 all with short leads hi!

comment on the amp. u can file the top off many metalcan transistors to get a phototransistor.

Have it so good & hope to see more new projects. just had to say thanks.
/D

Densil

Back to top Go down

New project on sm0vpo.com - AF signal source from your RF generator Empty New project on sm0vpo.com - AF signal source from your RF generator

Post by sm0vpo Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:06 pm

Hi again gentlepeople,
This must be a record for me, three projects uploaded in ONE DAY. This one is really simple, but it is extremely useful.

Like many radio enthusiasts, I have spent my money on big things. £600 on a second hand RF signal generator, with a modulation system that most enthusiasts can only dream of. A £1500 spectrum analyser, and a reallt good, digital oscilloscope.

So where is the AF signal source? No function generator, nada.

I built an EPROM based signal generator, many years ago, but today I cannot burn IC. Software not compatible with Windoze.
I made a retro af generator using a thermistor (substitute). It works, but every time you touch the frequency knob the AF changes level, then return to the correct level. No problem, but really annoying.

I though that if I have an RF signal generator, with all these bells-and-whistles, 0.1Hz to 250kHz, then why not use that?

http://sm0vpo.com/audio/rf-gen2afgen.htm

Thrown together the prototype in about 3 minutes when I urgently needed it, then later spent 15 minutes putting it together in a re-usable way. I am really happy with the result. Simple, cheap, quick and only uses 5 components.

I hope you find it useful.

Very best regards from Harry Lythall - sm0vpo

PS

In a realm of new tech and circuits old,
RF wizards create instruments untold.
No fancy gear, just a simple plan,
Untuned magic for the seasoned man.

Expensive gadgets often gather up dust,
Yet, in simplicity we can place our trust.
A project born in minutes few,
Old men striving when the young buy new.

sm0vpo
Admin

Back to top Go down