SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mains power fluctuations

2 posters

Go down

Mains power fluctuations Empty Re: Mains power fluctuations

Post by Ruud Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:38 am

Thanks! I wasn't aware of the fact that 'online UPS' systems existed.
I will have a closer look at these.
Ruud
Ruud

http://www.vansteenisaudio.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:33 am

Hi Ruud,
if I remember correctly, there are two classes of UPS: off-line and on-line. The first one monitors the power from the grid and if the voltage drops, it switches to an inverter. Normally it yields the power from the grid, maybe filtered a little.
The other one rectifies the "polluted" power and makes new, almost pure and stable output continuously. This would solve your problem entirely. These UPSs are more robust and more expensive, of course. See eg. here
In the pre-PC era, ferroresonant AC voltage stabilizers were widely used to protect TVs and other sensitive equipment against voltage fluctuations. They did not bridge short power outages, though.

BR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Mains power fluctuations Empty Mains power fluctuations

Post by Ruud Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Recently I moved to a small village in the north of the country.
The house is beautiful, the garden is bigger than you have ever seen, the people are friendy, so there is not very much to wish...
But there is one small problem: the mains voltage (230 V/50 Hz) fluctuates now and then.
This will have to do with the fact that 'we are at the end of the cable'.
If one of the neighbours switches on a heavy load, you can see the lights fluctuate for a fraction of a second.
Also (I was told) that a farmer 500 meters away causes some polution on the grid with the milking robots for his cows. (triacs etc. causing a distorted waveform of the 50 Hz. sinewave.)
Because I have the intention to start a small recording studio in the basement of the new house, I am looking for a solution for this problem.
My first thought was a UPS, but I am afraid that a UPS will react too slow to eliminate short voltage dips.
An other (rather radical!) idea was to have one or more lead batteries permanently charged and generate 230 V/50 Hz from the 24 V of the batteries.
The advantage would be that 'dips' on the mains voltage would never reach the output. Also this would give a backup in case of power failures.
Any ideas about this? I think I will need about 1000 VA for all the vital equipment.
Suggestions are appreciated!
Ruud
Ruud

http://www.vansteenisaudio.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down