SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unknown filter

4 posters

Go down

Unknown filter Empty Re: Unknown filter

Post by zsolt Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:31 pm

so, to make it short i can throw it away.

zsolt

admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruud Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:53 pm

I think it was around 1988 when I was one of the first persons to watch satellite television in my neighbourhood.
I remember that one of the first encrypted channels was BBC world service.
They used the SAVE system. What they did was adding an extra frequency to the video signal, with the result that everything looked like you were sitting behind bars.
I developed a simple PLL decoder, that first filtered out the disturbing frequency and generated the same frequency, that was added in opposite phase to the video signal. The result was a good, undisturbed picture.
A collegue of mine, who also had a satellite receiver found this very interesting and asked if I could build a similar decoder for him.
Of course, that was no problem and he payed me the costs of the components.
Just as a precaution, I removed the type numbers from the ICs...
Some time later, I sat with him in his car and found a 'commercial looking' copy of my decoder design...
It became clear that more people were interested in my decoder, especially because another channel, that was broadcasting 'nature movies' during nighttime, used the same form of encryption...
Soon after that incident, the encrypting was changed Very Happy , making all commercially produced decoders worthless...  Razz

Moral: never trust your collegues! (Especially when they ask why you removed the type numbers from the ICs.)
Ruud
Ruud

http://www.vansteenisaudio.nl

admin and Densil like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:07 am

In the 1980's when SKY TV first came on the scene, all the channels were free to view.

After a few months they introduced the first layer of encryption so people would have to pay. The forst encryption method was simply a big carrier somewhere in the video band. I remember at the time several small adverts for "Negative Trap Filters" or similar.
Many were rather dubious. One guy brought one to work and it was really nothing more than a roll of micro-coax in a box with a bit of a PCB and a couple of connectors. Another used a PLL to notch out the carrier and that was a lot more effective.

After a few months they added another level of encryption, like inverting packets of data, or something. There were loads of de-crypters being sold, but gradually the encryption became too complex and thos who bought decoders eventually could not buy new key-codes for their cards.

The only sattelite TV station I ever watched in the 80's and 90's was MTV, before it got WeIrDe.

Just a little diverse information :-)

BR Harry

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenndk Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 pm

Glenn / OZ1HFT

Glenndk

https://qsl.net/oz1hft/

admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Unknown filter Empty Unknown filter

Post by zsolt Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Unknown filter Img_2017
Does anybody know what is this good for?

zsolt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down