SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New project - something "special"

3 posters

Go down

New project - something "special" Empty Re: New project - something "special"

Post by admin Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 am

Ivan wrote:Hi Harry,
what big buckets would the scouts need ! Suppose they will make holes 2 mm dia. Such a hole has 3,14 mm sq. They must let some material around each hole. Suppose a hole with surroundigs takes 10 mm sq. Then 50 000 holes require 500 000 mm sq. = 0,5 m sq. This represents a circle cca 80 cm dia. ! Rolling Eyes

VBR from Ivan

Hi Ivan, I was exagerating a weeny little bit tongue I never actually counted the number of holes in the picture but there were loads of them. But I came from the the North of England and taking a shower was not a normal daily occurence. When I was a kid we had a bath once a week, even if it was not needed, so the picture was never actually tested out.

True story - I have more recently visited a home with a bicycle stored in the only bath in the house, the shower was unplugged because it did not work and the bathroom sink had a huge hole in it for over 1/2 a year. There was a lot of liquid on the floor but not from the sink - it was urine. If they still live that way today then perhaps it could be worth the effort of a large shower? Twisted Evil

Best regards and seasonal greetings from Harry - SM0VPO

admin
Admin

http://www.sm0vpo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:29 am

Hi Harry,
what big buckets would the scouts need ! Suppose they will make holes 2 mm dia. Such a hole has 3,14 mm sq. They must let some material around each hole. Suppose a hole with surroundigs takes 10 mm sq. Then 50 000 holes require 500 000 mm sq. = 0,5 m sq. This represents a circle cca 80 cm dia. ! Rolling Eyes

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:36 am

Hi all,
ideas, meant as fun or irony, can produce serious results. I heard a team of inventors searched a simple device, temporarily connecting several conductors together. One team member growled: "Hold them in teeth !" An aligator clip was the result.

BR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:52 pm

When I was younger I had a camping book for scouts. In there there was a diagram for a McGuyver shower. It involved a bucket with 50,000 nail-holes in the bottom and another bucket that was raised up the tree with the water. Pulling yet another, further, different rope tipped the bucket with the water into the bucket with the nail-holes.

It was not very practical, but in the 60s ther were loads of these crazy ideas around. What I want to know was where do a gang of camping boyscouts get two metal buckets, a hammer and a large nail to make the holes? They ardly the sort of things a boy ties to his backpack.

But it is often from such crazy ideas that clever ideas are born so I apologise if I poked fun at the idea. I remember the story of Gary Dahl. He invented the "pet rock". It is an ideal pet, does not need feeding, you can cuddle and stroke it, but you do not need to take it for walks or clean up excrement after it. Pet rock? What an utterly stupid idea! But Garry was laughing all the way to the bank with his $15,000,000 within the first year.

Then there was the teenager (Alex Trew) who sold something like a billion pixels for $1 each on his homepage, just 'cause he was bored. Mind you, he did have the assistance of a friendly press and a plausable sob-story to go with it.

Anyway Ivan and all who are reading these pages (yes, BOTH of you), hope you are going to have a nice seasonal celebration.

Best regards from Harry - SM0VPO

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:57 am

Hi Harry,
it is an advice from a book for camping. It sounds possible if the cord is really strong. To be honest, I did not find enough bravery to try it. I still remember, how I (cca 11 yrs old) did some experiments about centrifugal force and the "lab equipment" did not withstand them. Fortunately, I did them in our garden, so enough free space was around. Very Happy

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:25 pm

... and as a secondary function you get loads of exercise Very Happy

I am just trying to immagine someone standing on the beach with a bottle of wine in a sling and all the others in the area watching:

"Is he doing The Twist?"
"Naa, he thinks he's a helicopter!"

"I still think he's doing The Twist"
"Can you hear Chubby Checker playing?"

"No!"
"Then that setles it, its definitely a helicopter impression."

"So why is he dripping water on everyone?"
"Thats condensation from the rotor."

"Oh!!!"

To be serious Ivan, it sounds like a good idea. Have you tried it?

/Harry

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:43 pm

It is possible to sort out even when there is no fan and no strong wind.
Wrap a bottle with the drink you want to chill into a wet towel. Tie a 1 m long piece of cord to the bottleneck. Rotate the bottle on the cord above your head for several minutes. If the towel dries, make it wet again. BTW, if the cord breaks (or if you release it at the proper moment), you get a solid beach weapon ... Twisted Evil

VBR from Ivan

Ivan

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:49 am

DragonForce wrote:Necessity is the mother of invention - course, it helps to be a clever guy too Wink

Flattery will get you everywhere! Laughing

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonForce Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:17 am

Necessity is the mother of invention - course, it helps to be a clever guy too Wink

http://www.dragonchat.net/

Back to top Go down

New project - something "special" Empty New project - something "special"

Post by admin Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi again,

It is interesting that I once created a page for brewing booze, just in case anyone thought "homebrew" was anything to do with booze. It may be of some surprise to know that I am still active in that field drunken

The last holiday Maj-Lis and I had we found ourselves in a car with an iphone and a computer booking Spanish hotels for the night in the town we found ourselves. We found that cheap hotels somehow seem to lack a refrigerator. Now Maj-Lis and I are rather partial to a glass of Gin & Tonic in the evenings, and it is not so nice if not served cold. So Maj-Lis said to me "You are an engineer, so why can you not chill the tonic a bit?". I did.

The McGuyver in me responded to the challenge and within 10 minutes I had built a refrigerator. We even used it on the beach to keep our champagne and strawberries cool. Yes, we always have cool drinks on the beach in real glasses and the last holiday was no exception Smile

http://www.sm0vpo.com/booze/mcguyver_refrigerator.htm tells you all about it.

I think this is a really cool idea. Anyone else have any cool ideas?

Very best regards from Harry - SM0VPO

admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down