SM0VPO Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New project on www.sm0vpo.com - Retro audio amplifier

Go down

New project on www.sm0vpo.com - Retro audio amplifier Empty New project on www.sm0vpo.com - Retro audio amplifier

Post by sm0vpo Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:35 am

Hello again all. I went back to bed after posting the bespoke capacitors project, but these two cats would not let me sleep. So here is another project - a retro audio amplifier.

http://sm0vpo.com/audio/500mw_retro-af-amplifier.htm

This is not exactly a new project, in fact it dates back to the late 1950's and 1960's. In those days I was experimenting a lot and letting the smoke out of transistors. It was a lot easier in the days of the germanium transistor.

I used to strip old radios for components, and often used the radios as test equipment, when I was 11 years old, in 1962. I found I could make a MW transmitter using a regenerative receiver, and modulate it with this amplifier stage in my 7-transistor (a really good one) radio. I put a microphone in my auntie's room and a wire under the carpet to my room. Made a "light-beam telephone". Some of these ideas are not possible so easily with modern transistor ir IC equipment.

You may get some fun from this retro audio amplifier. Although it is not exactly HiFi, it still sounds good if you select a decent loudspeaker.

Very best regards from Harry - SM0VPO

PS:

In '62, with radios stripped bare,
Was a mad schoolboy "prof", beyond compare.
A light beam phone, oh, what a feat!
With eavesdropping skills, for his secret treat.

Now, 60 years on, a project reborn,
A vintage amplifier is not to be scorned.
With parabol magic, we'll eavesdrop again,
So come join the fun, and let's replay the game!

sm0vpo
Admin

Back to top Go down